The following is a list of the Regulated Activities that must be carried out under Licence issued by the Bureau:
- desalination of water
- generation of electricity
- combined generation and desalination
- performance of the duties of ADWEC
- transmission of water by mains pipeline
- distribution of water by mains pipeline
- supply of water to premises
- the storage of water
- bulk supply of water to the transmission operator
- bulk supply of electricity to the transmission operator
- transmission of electricity
- distribution of electricity
- supply of electricity to premises
- collection of sewage from premises
- treatment and processing of sewage
- disposal of wastewater
If you intend to apply for a licence, please first contact the Bureau to discuss the procedure to follow.
Contact details are:
Telephone: Simon Walster (+971 2 6543 555)
Fax: +971 2 6713 750 (attention Simon Walster)
You will then be required to submit the appropriate licence application along with a Registration Fee to the Bureau. A high-level assessment of the application to confirm its validity will ensue.
A valid application will then undergo a detailed evaluation to determine the prospective licensee’s legal, financial, managerial and technical competence. The Bureau will endeavour to perform this assessment in-house; however, some applications may involve external consultancy advice. Should this be required, these external costs will be recharged to the applicant in the form of an Evaluation Fee.
Once the Bureau is satisfied that an applicant is competent to hold a licence, a notice of intention to grant a licence is published. The notice period is for a minimum of 28 days. If no objections to the notice are received, a licence will be issued to the applicant and its activities will be regulated in accordance with the licence conditions.
Depending on the nature and complexity of an application, the overall assessment and licensing process may take three to four months.